To celebrate National Burger Day on Saturday 28th May 2022, our amazing Nutrition Team has created a delicious Beet and Bean Burger recipe for you. This meat-free wonder will have your mouth-watering and everyone begging you for the recipe. It is packed with prebiotic fibre to keep our gut bacteria thriving. At 18 grams per serve, it’s an awesome way to get your daily fibre intake on track.
BEET AND BEAN BURGER
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 small beetroot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 2 tsp korma curry paste
- 750g can four bean mix, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves (if desired)
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 4 wholegrain bread rolls
- Beetroot tzatziki
- Baby spinach
- 1 cucumber, sliced into ribbons
- Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until softened. Add carrot and beetroot and cook for 2 mins. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute until aromatic. Set aside to cool completely.
- Process bean mix and coriander in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Place onion mixture, bean mixture and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Use hands to mix until combined. Shape into 4 flat patties (or 6 if you want smaller burgers). Place extra breadcrumbs onto a plate. Press patties into breadcrumbs to lightly coat.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for 3-4 mins each side until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- Top roll bases with tzatziki, spinach, patties and cucumber. Sandwich with roll tops. Enjoy!